It’s Christmas cookie season friends and I don’t have a ton of time to make a million different varieties. My go-to cookies are the only ones making the list this year and I’ve narrowed it down to three recipes. First up is my Favorite Sugar Cookie recipe that I’ve been using for years. I’m making it again because it’s easy, sweet and the cookies hold their shape perfectly for decorating. This recipe makes about 24 cookies.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp milk
- In a small bowl combine flour and salt, set aside.
- Cream together sugar, softened butter, vanilla, egg and milk in Stand Mixer or large bowl.
- After wet ingredients are well incorporated add dry ingredients.
- Form a ball with the dough and wrap in parchment paper.
- Chill in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or baking spray.
- Roll dough to about 1/4″ thick.
- Use any shape cookie cutter and top with sugar sprinkles or frosting.
- Bake for 12 minutes (keep a watchful eye on them starting around 10 minutes) cookie edges should only be slightly brown.
This was the first year I attempted to let my toddler help me, she’s only two so she did as well as a two-year old could do. She helped me cut out the shapes and decorate, then she took a toddler sized handful of sprinkles and shoved them in her mouth. I am fully embracing these cute half eaten cookies with crazy sprinkle jobs because I want to hold onto every precious minute we have together. My first year baking with my Emerson is a sweet memory I will hold in my heart forever.